CFH 2020 Conference Delayed
From President Beth A. Barr:
Dear CFH community,
I do hope you are all well and sheltering as best you can. I also pray that your families and universities are weathering the current circumstances. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is any specific way I can pray further for your family or your university during this difficult time.
In light of the current situation, the board has voted to postpone our 2020 conference until 2021. Given the uncertainty at our colleges and universities, the sudden reduction in many of our members’ travel funds, the lack of a vaccine until probably Spring at earliest, and the concerns at Baylor about hosting a large conference in the Fall (we are anticipating no gatherings over 50 being allowed), this seemed the most prudent plan.
The conference will take place at Baylor in Fall 2021 instead.Our leadership will remain unchanged during this year. John Fea will transition into the presidency in Fall 2021 at the conference and I will transition out at that time. The current board will continue through this year as well. I am thankful for the willingness of those originally scheduled to rotate off the board (with new elections to be held) to continue to serve during these strange times. As a reminder, our current board is as follows (and this will remain the same till 2021):
- President Beth Allison Barr, Baylor University
- Vice-President John Fea, Messiah College
- Past-President Jay Geen, Covenant College
- Executive Board
- Chris Gehrz, Bethel University (2016-2021)
- Heather Vacek, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (2016-2021)
- Daniel K. Williams, University of West Georgia (2016-2021)
- Lisa Diller, Southern Adventist University (2016-2021)
- Trisha Posey, John Brown University (2018-2023)
- Paul Thompson, North Greenville University (2018-2023)
- Graduate Student Rep. currently open
- Editor, Fides et Historia Don Yerxa, current editor, transitioning to Elesha Coffman, incoming editor, Baylor University
- Associate Editor Loretta Hunnicut, Pepperdine University
- Book Review Editor Bradley Gundlach, Trinity International University
- Latin America Initiative Ron Morgan, Abilene Christian University
- Secretary Rick Kennedy, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Treasurer Glenn Sanders, King University
- Associate Secretary Jonathan Den Hartog, Samford University
- Women’s Network Elise Leal, Whitworth University
Our schedule from this point forward will continue on a two year rotation, so Fall 2021 and Fall 2023 (and continuing every two years) for our conference schedule. We believe this additional time will help the small colleges and universities that often host our events, as financial concerns are paramount right now.
In regards to the current conference proposals: we will keep the proposals we have received so far, and reach back out to those folk next spring and see if they want to keep their proposals submitted as is or submit new proposals. We will send out the CFP once again next January for additional papers (new proposals).
Thank you. We will remain in touch throughout this year, and work on additional ways to keep our community strong during these trying times. I really am concerned about the budget impact on many of our institutions. I would love to keep a running list of prayer needs, so please feel free to send these my way. I will figure out a way to communicate them.
Beth Allison Barr